Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Exploring

Since I had done a lot of exploring in my neighborhood, I decided to go check out Neuchatel. I've been there for practice and getting my bus pass but I hadn't done any sightseeing. I had talked to my teammates and they said that there was a castle in town. I'm a big fan of everything medieval, especially castles, so that was the next thing that was on my list to go explore.

I didn't really have any clue how to get to the castle but I knew the area it was in so I first decided to walk along the lake because it was such a beautiful day. I was so surprised with how many people bike and hike in Neuchatel. There are tons of people especially by the lake on bikes just enjoying the view. I'm always blown away at how gorgeous the lake is and how close it is. I've seen Lake Michigan many times but thats pretty far away from my home in Downers Grove. I know they have tours on the lake which I think would be fun for next time!



I love how the top of this foothill is covered in the clouds.

After I had gotten my share fair of beautiful views by the lake, I decided it was time to go find the castle. The great thing is the castle is located on the corner of a hill so all I had to do was look up and walk in that direction. I got pretty close and I think I looked lost because a woman asked if I was trying to find the castle. She ended up taking me right to it and was very kind. She gave me some background information on the castle as well. It was built in the 1500's and now the city uses it for offices. It is also located in the "old town". I believe that was the original town but now not many shops are there.

This is part of the old town that leads right to the castle

The front of the castle that overlooks Neuchatel.

The amazing view from the castle!


The courtyard in the castle. I was 20 minutes late for the guided tour of the inside so I'll have to come back and do that again!


Another amazing view!

There was also a church which was under construction that I wasn't able to go inside to see. Close by was a prison tower. Originally I thought that was the castle because it looks more of a castle that I had seen in books but this is where they kept the prisoners. You can also get a tour of this and thats also on my list as well!

The prison tower! It's interesting how close its located to the town!

Working my magic with the self timer!


This is the view from where I was just sitting in the other picture!


I can't wait to go back and actually see what the inside of the castle looks like. I bet the views are just as amazing as this one. I've done a lot of sightseeing but I've also played some volleyball too! I'm sure everyone is curious with how my knee is doing so I'll write about that soon!

2 comments:

  1. It reminds me of sightseeings in San Marino where it is primarily consist of three castles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great photos! Very nice use of the self timer, haha.

    I'm so happy you finally got the internet working in your apartment!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete